Water heaters offer a convenience and service that homeowners have come to expect in today’s homes. Like any other appliance, water heaters have a limited lifespan and usually last from 7 to 10 years. Because water heaters are constantly exposed to water and are frequently cycling in order to maintain a supply of hot water, they are prone to problems such as rust and leaking. With this guidance from our service team at Gartner HVAC, you can learn how to quickly detect a water heater leak and have it repaired or replaced before the situation worsens.
Signs of Water Heater Leaks
The water heater often provides indications that it is leaking. These signs include:
- Moisture running down the tank. This is a sign that the water heater leaking from top. When the water heater leaking from top, there could be a problem with the flex lines, the water heater nipples or the relief line.
- A puddle. If you see a puddle on the floor by the water heater, this is a strong indication that the water heater leaking from bottom. When a water heater leaking from bottom, the unit may have rusted through the tank or the leak could be from the drain line.
- Plumbing problems may cause a leak around the water heater, but the actual heater itself might be fine. Only a professional service technician can determine why the water heater is leaking.
Prevention and Detection of Water Heater Leaks
There are many actions you can take in your Skokie, IL, home to prevent water heater leaks from causing damage. These steps include:
- Installing a water heater drain pan underneath the tank. This will collect small leaks and prevent damage to flooring.
- Check the water heater regularly for drips and leaks.
- Maintain a regular maintenance schedule for the water heater.
- Install a water heater alarm. A water heater alarm alerts you when it detects moisture or leaking.
What to Do When You Discover the Water Heater Is Leaking
If you discover a water heater leak, shut off the supply of water to the heater if you are able to safely do so. Next, arrange for a professional service call. Prompt service to repair or replace the heater is essential for your safety and comfort.
Our trained technicians have proudly served the Skokie, IL, area’s water heater repair and replacement needs for many years. By offering water heater maintenance, we can help you keep your water heater in good condition for many years. When the time comes for a repair or a replacement, we are here for you. Give us at Gartner HVAC a call any time to schedule a repair service for your leaky water heater.